Wat Lao Buddhavong Organization Structure
Reorganization Chart – Coming Soon !
Brief History of Our Wat Lao Buddhavong
Prior to 1980, the absence of a Wat Lao necessitated the use of the other Buddhist temples. But the Lao community felt the need for a Lao temple to meet the specific needs of the community and allow for the expression of Lao culture and tradition. This would foster strength and cohesion within the Lao community.
In 1980, the monks were provided temporary living space in a rental property, but the Lao Buddhist Association soon moved to purchase a house and one-acre lot at 5248 Clifton Street, Alexandria, Virginia. Buddhist services were held on this property, but the resulting congestion along with zoning regulations forced the relocation of the temple.
With the blessing of the Lord Buddha and the positive attitude of the Abbot, Phra Acharn Bounmy Kittiphanh, a beautiful site for the temple was found at its present location in Catlett, Virginia. On December 1985, Phra Acharn Bounmy and three members of the Lao Buddhist Association purchased the property, which included 58 acres, a brick house, and an old wood barn. The original four members of the Wat Lao property trust are:
- Phra Acharn Bounmy Kittiphanh
- Mr. Souksomboune Sayasithsena
- Mr. Khamphout Phanthavong
- Mr. Somboun Somphanh
With the generous support of the Buddhist community, the Wat Lao Buddhavong temple accrued enough funds to prepay the property load in full at the end of the fourth year, one year earlier that expected. The final loan payment was made on January 1990.
The Lao Buddhist Association then created a corporation to manage the property. The “Wat Lao Buddhavong, Inc.” was legally incorporated in the State of Virginia and registered with the Commonwealth of Virginia State Commission Corporation (SCC ID: 03428158); https://www.scc.virginia.gov/)
30 Years of Accomplishments:
- 1979 Wat Lao (Temple) started in a suburban living room
- 1985 Wat Lao (Temple) bought 58 acres property in Catlett, Virginia
- 1989 Paid off the loan for land
- 1993 Sala was dedicated
- 2005 Paid off the construction loan
- 2006 501 (c) (3) status granted
- 2006 Sales Tax exemption granted
- 2007 New Site Plan Developed
- 2008 Paid off the roof repair loan
- 2009 Postage Exemption
- 2009 First official Advisory Board and Five Leadership Committees Appointed
- 2009 – August 2019 (TBD)
- 2019 (September to Current) New Board of Directors and Officers were formed
Tribute to the Founders and Volunteers
Wat Lao Buddhavong would like to recognize and honor the many special individuals who have given so much of themselves both financially and of their times to make the Wat Lao Buddhavong the great place it is today.